Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Yorba Regional Park's Lake Recent Die Off?

It has come to my attention that the aerators and water pumps broke down at YL park just a couple months ago. I saw a few large carp crowding near the waterfall in search of oxygen. It didn't look to good. Most of the time these carp get spooked at any sight of pedestrians. But I was able to approach them, even touch them.

A few days later I ran into a fisherman that had seen the DFG do a stock of trout. Within an hour, they were all belly up dead, and the park rangers were scooping them out by the bucket. The local fisherman also said that a few big carp were also scooped up. From the way he put it, I got the impression that the lake had totally died. But that was not the case. The extent of the damage is yet to be determined.

At the time of this writing, it appears that one of the pumps was working on the far east lake. We tried to throw out some  bait to catch some carp at our favorite spot, and sure enough, it had produced a nice 7 pounder. A little relief on my part, I thought the lake was doomed. Seems like this part of the lake is doing ok.

I did a little scouting on the west lake, and found only 2 pods with 5-6  carp each. Not like last year when I saw the carp rising in multiple pods of 20-30 carp. Who knows. It's been a little cold, and I'm not sure if the spring spawn is  in full swing just yet. Otherwise, they look strong and health. Hopefully things improve in the next few weeks.

We'll Keep You Posted.

Greg C.


No comments:

Post a Comment